Monday, May 18, 2015

Groundwork 2013 Counoise


In late 2013 I received a bottle of Groundwork Grenache in my Food and Wine wine club shipment. Looking at the bottle I knew it would be special- the beautiful artwork on the label, the fact that it was a Grenache and the blurb about the wine maker, Curt Schalchlin. I remember a quote from Dante's Inferno followed by a few sentences that reminded me of the boys I had crushes on in high school, in the best possible way, brooding and serious. Grenache is to me a sexy and lushly pleasing wine- its all crushed violet petals and black cherries with an underlying peppery wildness that drinks beautifully on its own and pairs exceptionally well with food. It seemed like a match made in heaven, and I couldn't have been more right once I opened the bottle. I immediately ordered a case of it. That was over a year ago now and that case is long gone, I hadn't revisited the wine since, but I couldn't get it off my mind. There are so many wines to drink, so many fish in the sea, but just like a high school crush I kept thinking about the Groundwork Grenache. It was time to go back to him. Last week I ordered a handful of wines from Sans Liege, the label that produces the Groundwork line. I ordered my beloved Grenache along with a Grenache Blanc, a Rosé (made from Grenache), a Mourvèdre and a Counoise.

Counoise is classically used in Rhone blends and you rarely see it as a single varietal. I have no idea why. This wine was exceptional, bright cherry on the nose with a Dr. Pepper like spiciness. In the mouth it is bright and briny- it stays dry and smooth with perfect acidity and a pleasant saltiness. Usually Fernando likes big, bold, old world style reds, he was not into the Argyle Pinot Noir I had a few weeks ago, so I expected him to be nonplussed. He loved it. We paired the wine first with some soft La Tur cheese with fig jam and then Arroz con Pollo with a beef chorizo and tomato base. It was lovely, but I would drink this with grilled meats, charcuterie and salmon as well. It's a perfect red for summer, light and bright and shining served slightly chilled. I'm ordering a few more bottles straight away to have on hand all summer long.


 
Groundwork 2013 Counoise
Central Coast
 

No comments:

Post a Comment